The status of residence “Permanent Resident” provides much more advantageous treatments than other statuses of residence because it does not limit the status holder’s activities or period of stay.
The status of permanent residence is granted when certain conditions have been satisfied by foreign nationals who reside in Japan under another status of residence and who have applied for change of status of residence to permanent residence or by those who have applied to acquire status of residence due to birth or renouncement of Japanese nationality.
The status of permanent resident provide following benefit to you.
・It does not limit the period of stay.
・It does not limit the status holder’s activities.
・You can be granted highly credit for purchase a real estate or bank loan.
・You can hold your original nationalities.
General conditions of applying permanent residents status.
1. The person is of good conduct.
The person observes Japanese laws and his/her daily living as a resident does not invite any social criticism.
The petitioner has been never sentenced to a fine or imprisonment. The person fulfills public duties such as tax payment.
2. The person has sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living.
The person does not financially depend on someone in the society in his daily life, and his/her assets or ability, etc. are assumed to continue to provide him/her with a stable base of livelihood into the future.
The person who do not need to depend on public welfare and can stay Japan with a stable base of livelihood into the future. In an examinations, a judge commonly check your assets, incomes, ability, etc.
※ The requirements 1 and 2 above do not apply to spouses and children of Japanese nationals, special permanent residents or permanent residents, and requirement (2) does not apply for those who have been recognized as refugees
3. The person’s permanent residence is regarded to be in accord with the interests of Japan.
・In principle, the person has stayed in Japan for more than 10 years consecutively.
It is also required that during his/her stay in Japan the person has had work permit or the status of residence for more than 5 years consecutively.
・The person has been never sentenced to a fine or imprisonment. The person fulfills public duties such as tax payment.
・The maximum period of stay allowed for the person with his/her current status of residence under Annexed Table 2 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act is to be fully utilized.
・There is no possibility that the person could do harm from the viewpoint of protection of public health.
Special requirements for 10-year residence in principle
(1) The person is a spouse of a Japanese national, special permanent resident or permanent resident, and has been in a real marital relationship for more than 3 years consecutively and has stayed in Japan more than 1 year consecutively. Or, the person is a true child of a Japanese national, special permanent resident or permanent resident, and has stayed in Japan more than 1 year consecutively.
(2) The person has stayed in Japan for more than 5 years consecutively with the status of long term resident.
(3) The person has been recognized as a refugee, and has stayed in Japan for more than 5 years consecutively after recognition.
(4) The person has been recognized to have made a contribution to Japan in diplomatic, social, economic, cultural or other fields, and has stayed in Japan for more than 5 years.
※ Please see guideline for permanent residents visa
The visa holder who plan to set up his/her own business in Japan has chance to apply for permanent visa. If you have any questions, please feel free contact us.