Special visa for Highly-Skilled Foreign Professionals was introduced on May 7, 2012.
The purpose of this system is to promote the entry of such professionals. A point-based system is used to provide preferential immigration treatment for them.
The activities of the professionals are classified into three categories, which are advanced academic research activities, advanced specialized/technical activities and advanced business management activities.
According to characteristic features of each category of the activities, points are set to each item, such as academic background, professional career, annual salary, etc.
If the total points reach 70 points, preferential immigration treatment will be granted to the applicant.
Advanced business management activities (ABMA) are being engaged in the operation or management of public or private organizations in Japan.
The main items for points awarded for ABMA are as follows:
1. Academic background like holding an MBA or a doctor’s degree, a master’s degree.
2. Professional career. Work experience related to business management should be at least 3 years or more.
3. Annual salary. It should be at least 10 million yen/ year or more.
4. Position. Applicants will be a representative director, representative executive officer or a member of the board of directors.
The benefits of this visa, are as follows:
1. Permission for multiple activities in Japan.
2. Grant of the “5 years” period of stay
3. Easing of requirements for permanent residence
4. Permission for a spouse of highly-skilled foreign professional to work
5. Permission for bringing a parent(s) to accompany the highly-skilled foreign professional to Japan under certain conditions
6. Permission for a domestic worker to accompany the highly-skilled foreign professional to Japan under certain conditions
7. Preferential processing of entry and residence procedures
We fully support those who are thinking about using the system.
If you would like to hear more, please feel free to contact me. English-speaking staff are waiting for you.